Vesalius College is part of a broader university student community (of more than 10,000) consisting of 4 other universities and graduate schools concentrated into a single area that exemplifies the student lifestyle. Easily accessible by bus, tram or metro, the area where the College is located has everything to meet student needs including affordable housing, 2 on-campus cafeterias, live music, libraries, banks, shops, markets, restaurants and taverns, as well as athletic activities and facilities.
At Vesalius College, we offer a number of different housing options for new students:
- Home stay with host family
- Services included
- Important information and deadlines
- Independent Housing - Arranged by Student
a. Youth Hostel
c. International Student House
e. Jump Away
- Personalized Assistance – Independent Housing Placement Service
- Services included
- Transfer from Brussels airport
Home Stay with a Host Family
Vesalius College works with a number of host families who, for years, have welcomed Vesalius College students into their homes. These families are committed to enriching the study abroad experience for these students while coming away with positive, fulfilling experiences of their own. Most of our host families are French-speaking, although some are Dutch-speaking. All have a good command of the English language and are able to communicate with students who have no knowledge of French or Dutch.
Home stay accommodation provides students with a unique experience that allows for insights into the everyday life of a Belgian family, Belgian culture and social norms. Students acquire this knowledge and other valuable elements by living the life of a ‘native’, sharing daily conversations at the dinner table and taking part in the daily life of their host families, without necessarily having to limit their individual freedom (as long as house rules are respected, of course).
If you opt for this type of housing, your stay with your host family will begin as soon as you arrive in Brussels.
- Bed and breakfast, 7 days a week (includes sheets and towels)
- Dinner, 4 days a week (weekdays)
- Use of bathroom/shower
- Use of kitchen when no meals are provided
- Internet access
- Use of telephone in case of emergencies
- Laundry once a week
Some families may include extra services that are not overseen by Vesalius College, such as laundry facilities, Internet access and outings. These may be included in the monthly fee or may be offered at an extra charge, depending on the individual host.
- €150 per week (subject to cost-of-living increases).
- One-time non-refundable placement fee of €100.
- Refundable housing deposit of €750.
- Full payment is expected at the time of application. No placement will be initiated by the housing coordinator until full payment has been received (please see application form for full payment instructions)
Contact: Vesalius College’s Housing Coordinator, Yamina El Atlassi.
- The Home Stay Application Form 2013-14 must be filled out electronically, printed out, scanned and then must be sent via email to Yamina El Atlassi.
Important information and deadlines:
- The mandatory arrival date in the host family is the Sunday that precedes the first day of orientation (this is true for the fall, spring or summer terms. Although students are welcome to arrive in Brussels before this day, they will need to find independent accommodations (youth hostel, hotel or other for the days that precede the Sunday move-in day). Please see here for more information.
- Students who opt for home stay accommodation will be expected to uphold certain codes of conduct and courtesies towards the host family and towards the university. Thus, students will be asked to review and sign the following Home Stay Regulations & Contract. This contract will be distributed during the home stay talk, which will be given during orientation.
Home Stay Programme deadlines:
- Application Deadlines:
- For Fall Term: 25 May
- For Spring Term: 15 November
- For Summer Term: 25 April
- Details of your placement will be communicated to you by the Housing Coordinator by the following deadlines:
- For Fall Term: 10 June
- For Spring Term: 5 December
- For Summer Term: 10 May
Independent Housing – Arranged by Student
If you opt for independent housing, please note that housing cannot be arranged before your arrival in Belgium. Therefore, we recommend that you arrive in Brussels at least one week before orientation; the earlier you arrive, the easier it will be to find accommodation. It is recommended that you spend the first week or two in a youth hostel in order to have time to visit various housing options.
Cost: Prices for independent student accommodation can vary from €350 to €600 per month, depending on size and level of comfort. Charges, such as phone, utilities, Internet, etc. are not always fully included and may result in additional monthly fees.
a. Youth Hostel
Students can arrange for temporary housing in advance of arrival with the following hostels:
Auberge de Jeunesse (Bruegel)
Rue du Saint-Esprit 2 - B – 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32-2-511 04 36
More information about youth hostels in Brussels is available at:
Information on other temporary housing facilities is available at:
When you arrive in Brussels, you may find off-campus housing by reading the VLAN (weekly newspaper) or on their website. You may also consult the expatriates’ website www.xpats.com, and other websites such as Immoweb, www.brusselsdestination.be, www.appartager.be and Craigslist.
You may consult Vesalius College’s bulletin boards, which are located at Pleinlaan 5 in the classroom hallway. You can also go on the Vesalius College Facebook page or on Vesalius Student Government Facebook page to see if any students are in need of a roommate or are looking to sublet their apartments.
You may also look out for ‘orange’ signs (kot, chambre, kamer TE HUUR/A LOUER) posted on buildings or houses.
Cost: Monthly rent is generally between €400 and €700 depending on location, number of roommates, and degree of luxury.
c. International Student House
You may also rent a room near campus at the ‘Van Orley International Student House’, located at Bischoffsheimlaan 38a, 1000 Brussels. Here, students can rent fully-equipped single and double rooms in downtown Brussels. Please refer to their website.
Students wishing to reserve a room should contact the provider directly.
d. U-Residence (Limited Availability)
This is a brand new facility containing single and double rooms on the VUB campus, across the street from Vesalius: www.u-residence.be. This residence takes students on a first-come, first-served basis and also offers hotel rooms for very short visits.
Students wishing to reserve a room should contact the provider directly: email@example.com; +32-487-366-244.
e. Jump Away
Fully-furnished and equipped shared international student flats located near campus: http://www.jumpaway.eu/.
Students wishing to reserve a room should contact the provider directly. firstname.lastname@example.org
Personalized Assistance – Independent Housing Placement Service
The Vesalius College Housing Coordinator offers personalized assistance to students in locating and leasing a student flat or a room.
Placement services include:
1) Providing students with a listing of available apartments and student rooms. All rooms in the listing will have been personally visited and evaluated by the Vesalius Housing Coordinator and the listing will be kept.
2) Only recommended rooms that have been deemed suitable for Vesalius students based on location, facilities and rental price.
3) Provision and management of the rental agreements (in English) that will be signed by the landlord and the student. The Housing Coordinator will be responsible for these contracts and would ensure that terms are agreeable and fair to both landlord and student.
4) Committing to assisting the student until a rental agreement has been signed.
Placement services do NOT include:
1) Visiting rooms and apartments with the students as these will have already been visited and approved by the programme. Students will be responsible for visiting the rooms/apartments on their own.
2) Participating in or being in any way implicated in the “état des lieux” (incoming/outgoing property inspection) for the room/apartment, either at move-in or at move-out - this would be the sole responsibility of the student.
Cost: The cost of this service is of €150 paid directly to Vesalius College. Please note that the Housing Coordinator will not begin working on the student’s application until the College has received the payment in full.
Transfer from Brussels Airport
The following three options exist for student transfer from the Brussels airport:
1. Arrange for car service pick-up in advance by contacting Taxi Bien – Morvan, which is the provider Vesalius College has used for many years. Vesalius College will no longer arrange for airport pickup and this will be the responsibility of the student. Credit card payments are accepted. Cancellations and changes to arrival times will need to be communicated directly to Morvan if this option is chosen and financial consequences may intervene for failure to show up at the confirmed time. Students should contact Taxi Bien – Morvan at least 5 days prior to arrival at:
Taxi Bien – Dispatching De Morvan – Taxi Service
2. Take a Brussels Airport Taxi directly at the airport. This service is very easy to use; the cab drivers can almost always communicate in English and it is possible to pay with credit card. More information can be found here.
3. Contact the host family to see if they would be willing to pick the student up from the airport.