- Position :
Adjunct Professor - European and Global Diplomacy
- Department :
- Centre for Global Peace and Security Studies
- Nationality :
- Languages :
- English, Portuguese and French
- Education :
Ph.D. in International Relations - London School of Economics and Political Science - 16 September 1992
B.Sc. (Econ.) in International Relations - London School of Economics and Political Science - 1 August 1987
- Research area(s) :
- European Union – External Relations, Common Foreign and Security Policy, Common Security and Defence Policy
- Transatlantic relations
- EU-Russia relations
- United Nations, particularly international peace and security issues
- UN Peacekeeping
- International relations and civil wars during the Cold War period
- Selected Publications :
"Speak Up! Getting the EU a Voice at the UN General Assembly" in The European Union as a Diplomatic Actor, edited by Joachim A. Koops and Gjovalin Macaj (Palgrave Macmillan: 2015).
The Origins of the Angolan Civil War: Foreign Intervention and Domestic Political Conflict (Basingstoke and New York: Macmillan and St. Martin’s Press: 1998). Paperback edition published in 2001.
Articles and papers:
“A América dividida” in Relações Internacionais No. 3 (Lisbon: September 2004).
“The United States and the Decolonization of Angola: the origins of a failed policy”. Paper presented at the Portugal, Europe and the United States international conference sponsored by Fundação Luso-Americana para o Desenvolvimento and Instituto Português de Relações Internacionais, Lisbon, 3 and 4 October 2003.
“O império contra-ataca” in Política Internacional No. 26 (Lisbon: Autumn/Winter 2002).
“Uma rivalidade irreconciliável” in História No. 51 (Lisbon: XXV, 3, December 2002).
“10 anos de guerras americanas” with Fernando Costa Freire in Janus 2003: Anuário de Relações Exteriores (Lisbon: November 2002).
“O problema de Angola” in Política Internacional No. 25 (Lisbon: Spring/Summer 2002).
“A guerra pós-moderna: uma visão do futuro” in Negócios Estrangeiros No. 3 (Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeiros, Lisbon: February 2002).
“O preço da paz” in Negócios Estrangeiros No. 2 (Ministério dos Negócios Estrangeiros, Lisbon: September 2001).
“Dean Acheson”. Paper for the 1999 Conference of the Society of Historians of American Foreign Relations, 24-26 June 1999 at Princeton University.
“Portugal no Conselho de Segurança 1997-1998: As Nações Unidas e a Consolidação dos Processos de Paz”, (with António Monteiro), in Nação e Defesa (Instituto de Defesa Nacional, Lisbon: Fall 1999).
“The Angolan Civil War: The roots of conflict”. Paper presented at Georgetown University on 19 April 1999.
“Origins and Development of the MPLA: Two Dissident Views” in Camões Quarterly (Columbia University: Winter 1993).
“The Collapse of the New State and the Emergence of the Angolan Civil War” in Camões Quarterly (Columbia University: Winter 1993).
- Other relevant information:
European External Action Service
- Head of Division - Russia - September 2015 to present
- Head of Division – United States and Canada - October 2011 to August 2015
- Adviser - multilateral relations - January to September 2011
- Deputy Political Director/Adviser - Directorate General for External Relations - November 2009 to December 2010
- Diplomatic Adviser and Member of the Cabinet of European Commission President José Manuel Barroso -November 2004 to May 2010
- Department of Peacekeeping Operations - April 2003 to October 2004
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Portugal - Permanent Mission of Portugal to the United Nations
- Counsellor - February 1999 to March 2003
- Attaché for Political Affairs - March 1992 to January 1999
Council Member of the European Council on Foreign Relations (London) - 2008 to present
Member of the Consultative Board of Relações Internacionais (Lisbon), journal of international relations - 2004 to present
- Honours & Awards :
- Chevening Scholar - 1988-89 and 1989-90.
- Gulbenkian Foundation Scholar - 1984-85.