Vesalius College seeks students who are able to meet the challenges of our academic programme and are willing to participate fully in the intellectual and social life of the College in a spirit of openness and tolerance. Admission to the College is selective. We endeavour to accept only students whose records indicate that they possess the qualities needed to achieve academic success in the degree programme of their choice.
Online Application Instructions
If you have any questions with regards to the application process, please contact our Admissions Office.
Applicants for admission must have graduated from a secondary school prior to beginning their studies at Vesalius College. Admission decisions take into account the candidate’s secondary school performance, examination results and English language competence, as well as demonstrated personal qualities and character.
- Candidates must answer all questions in the online application form.
- There are nine steps to complete before you submit your application.
- You do not have to fill in the whole application at once. You can start filling it in, save it and log out, and then log in again to continue working on it at a later time.
- To go to the next step, click on “Save form and continue to next screen” button at the bottom of each page.
- You will not be able to go to the next step or submit your application before having answered all the required questions.
- Hover your mouse over the question mark next to some of the questions to get help or instructions.
- Before submitting your application, you will be able to review all the information you provided. We recommend that you review this information carefully and make any necessary changes before you submit your application.
- Once you have submitted your online application, you will not be able to make any additional changes. If you would like to inform us of any changes afterwards, please contact the Admissions Office by email: Vanessa Goffard (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Candidates must pay a non-refundable application fee of 50 euro. The fee can be paid by credit card or by bank transfer. If you choose to pay by credit card, you will be able to make the payment during the online application process. For more information about tuition and fees and/ or if you would like to pay the application fee by bank transfer, please click here.
Candidates must submit the following documents:
Important: Please read the instructions carefully to find out about the documents you have to submit online and the documents that need to be sent directly from the issuing institution:
- Academic credentials and transcript(s) (showing courses and grades) from all secondary schools and universities attended since the age of fourteen, including public examination results and official results of any national or regional examination.
Transcripts must be certified by the Registrar or Head Teacher of the educational institution issuing the documents and sent in an official envelope of the institution that is sealed and then signed across the back flap by the sending official.
- Two letters of recommendation: Ask two persons who are familiar with your academic work (for example teachers, professors, guidance counselors, or school directors) to send a letter of recommendation to Vesalius College. The letters of recommendation must be sent directly from the issuing institution to Vesalius College in an official envelope of the institution, sealed and signed across the back flap.
- A proof of identity in the form of a photocopy of either a passport or a national identity card (in case you are unable to scan a copy while filling in the online application form).
- Results of an English proficiency examination may be required (see Standardized Tests for details).
- Results of the SAT or the ACT may be required (see Standardized Tests for details).
Applicants must ensure that their names are recorded clearly on all documents. The family name or surname given in the application must then be used in all correspondence with the College and on all documents relating to the College.
Note: None of the application materials submitted to Vesalius College will be returned to the applicant. Candidates are advised to make copies for their own records prior to submission.
Document Uploading Instructions
Important: Photocopies of original documents are not accepted as official documents. However, we strongly encourage you to upload copies of any of the above-mentioned documents that you have with your online application while waiting for official credentials to be sent to us.
Candidates should upload the following documents to their online application:
- A copy of your official academic credentials and transcript(s). The official transcript(s) will be send to us directly from the issuing institution;
- A personal essay (minimum 300 words) on an issue of local, national or international or personal interest that is important to you. Please explain us why this issue is important to you;
- A curriculum vitae (for students who have been out of secondary school for several years);
- A copy of your identity card or passport.
Translation of Credentials
Vesalius College accepts credentials in English, Dutch, French, and German. For all other languages, official translations by a certified translator (whose signature is authenticated) are required and are accepted only when accompanied by the document in its original language.
English proficiency: Results of an English proficiency examination are required for students who have studied for less than three years in a secondary school or two years in a university with English as the language of instruction. The College accepts official scores from the following tests: the TOEFL (Test of English as Foreign Language) and the Academic Module of the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
Applicants should register with the TOEFL testing agency. Visit the website www.ets.org/toefl for more information on test dates, prep, test centres, registration deadlines, fees, payment. Applicants must ask the testing agency to send score reports directly to Vesalius, using the College code 3574.
IELTS (Academic Module)
Applicants should register with the British Council. Visit the website http://www.britishcouncil.org for more information on test dates, registration deadlines, fees, payment.
For applicants who must take either the SAT or ACT exam, here are the addresses and instructions for sending scores:
Applicants should register with the testing agency. Visit the College Board SAT Programme website www.collegeboard.org to register online and for more information on US and international test dates, registration deadlines, fees, payment. Applicants must ask the testing agency to send score reports directly to Vesalius, using the College code: 3574.
Applicants should register with the testing agency. Visit the ACT website www.act.org to register online and for more information on test dates, registration deadlines, fees, payment. Applicants must ask the testing agency to send score reports directly to Vesalius, using the College code: 5243.
A transfer student is a student who is already enrolled in a college or university and who is applying for admission with the intention of graduating from Vesalius College.
Students may be considered for transfer to Vesalius College if they have completed at least one semester and are in good academic standing at an accredited college or university and have not been dismissed from that institution. In order to apply for ‘transfer credit review’, applicants are required to fill out the transfer credit application form (obtainable online at the admission page of Vesalius College or obtainable from a member of staff of the admission office). Transfer applicants must submit the same documents as those applying for general admission as well as:
- Official transcript(s) sent directly from the institution(s) where the courses were taken.
- Detailed descriptions of the courses successfully passed, including the number of hours per course. You should forward us syllabi and a copy of each course description from the college’s catalogue. Other evidence of work performed and/or textbooks used may also be requested by Vesalius College.
The minimum requirements for grades depend upon the school where the credit was earned and the student’s intended major within Vesalius College. All transfer credits will be awarded at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. Once the transfer credits have been assessed, the file cannot be re-opened.
A syllabus is a short document, to be distributed at the first class meeting, containing the following information: the aims and content of the course, the textbook(s) and other reading materials, the progress of the course week per week, the way in which it will be assessed, the dates at which written work is due and when the mid-term and final examinations will be held, and contact information and office hours for the instructor.
Transfer applicants with at least one full-time semester of college credit and a minimum grade point average of 2.0 will be exempted from submitting SAT or ACT scores.
Vesalius College may award transfer credits on a limited basis for courses taken at university level in other accredited institutions. Transfer credits can only be granted:
- If the course credits obtained at another university were taken in courses that are similar to Vesalius College courses in terms of content, scope and academic rigour (this will be determined by members of Vesalius College’s academic staff upon the request of the admission office).
- If the course carrying the course credits to be transferred is in line with the curriculum structure of Vesalius College (i.e. it fits within the categories of available credits in the curriculum components of ‘core courses’, ‘major requirements’, ‘major electives’ or ‘free electives’).
- Once a fee of 40.00 Euros (€) per transferred ECTS credit is paid (payable with the first semester tuition fee invoice).
Credit card payments are possible via this page.
If you choose to pay by bank transfer, please email a proof of payment.
Belfius Bank Account number: 068-2410268-39
IBAN number: BE 13 068-2410268-39
Swift code: GKCC BE BB
Vesalius College vzw Pleinlaan 2, B-1050 Brussels, Belgium
For international transfers, the main office of the bank is: Belfius Bank, Pachecolaan 44, B-1000 Brussels, Belgium. When transferring monies, please include the student’s full name and specify the type of fee (for example Application Fee)
For more information on our fees and the different modes of payments, please click here.
The Application Review Process
Vesalius College processes applications on a rolling basis. Admissions decisions are usually made within three weeks after receipt of the complete application. Students in secondary school are encouraged to apply during their final year. International students should apply well in advance (three to six months) as obtaining a student visa can take up to six months in some countries. Once accepted to Vesalius College, international applicants should contact the Belgian embassy or consulate in their country immediately to get a complete list of requirements specific for that country. It should be noted that student visas for studies in Belgium are only issued to applicants demonstrating proof that they are accepted as full-time students at a Belgian institution.
Visiting/Study Abroad Student Admission
A study abroad student is a student who wishes to spend one or two semesters at Vesalius College before returning to his/her home university. Students applying from universities and colleges with which Vesalius College has formal agreements should contact the Director of International Programmes Projects and Outreach at Vesalius College as requirements vary across programmes.
Please click here for more information on the Study Abroad programme.
Please contact Dr. Frank Billingsley (email@example.com) if you have any questions.