The 5 EPSS courses are complemented by a series of lectures given by senior academics and policymakers from institutions such as the EU, NATO, the Standby High Readiness Brigade for UN Operations and the European Defence Agency. Lectures are interactive and provide students with the opportunity to establish and maintain contacts within the Brussels security community.
To view the schedule of the Fall 2014 Guest Lecture Series, click here.
Previous EPSS guest lecturers include:
- James Appathurai, NATO Secretary-General’s Special Representative for the Caucasus and Central Asia
- Antonio Costa, former UN Under-Secretary-General and Director of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), former Under-Secretary General, OECD
- Johan Galtung, Founder of the Discipline of Peace Studies
- Joëlle Hivonnet, European Union Delegation to the United Nations in Geneva
- Mika-Markus Leinonen, Permanent Chair of the EU’s Committee for Civilian Aspects of Crisis Management (CIVCOM), European External Action Service, European Union
- Edward McMillan-Scott, Vice-President of the European Parliament, responsible for Democracy and Human Rights
- Agostino Miozzo, Managing Director, Crisis Response Department, European External Action Service and former General Director, Italian Civil Protection Department
- Antonio Missiroli, Director, EU Institute for Strategic Studies, Paris
- Silke Rusch, Head of Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration, United Nations Support Mission in Libya
- Jamie Shea, Deputy Assistant Secretary-General for Emerging Security Threats, NATO
- Christof Tatschl, Head of Cyberdefence, Austrian Armed Forces
- Steven Vanackere, Former Foreign Minister & Deputy Prime Minister, Belgium
- Myria Vassiliadou, European Anti-Trafficking Coordinator, European Union
A final Symposium is held at the end of the EPSS programme, drawing together the main strands and dimensions of the different courses and guest lectures. The top 3 students of the programme are invited to present a brief paper alongside the guest lecturers and policy experts.